Highlights—June 2018 Membership Meeting

Library representative, Leslie Clarke, reported that the OC CON Festival would be held at the Music Pier on June 28th through the 30th. Progress is continuing on the second floor Maker Space design. They are meeting with the architect and have visited the Cape May County Library to see how its space is arranged. Plans include space for youth, private study areas, a smart board, and sewing machines.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Membership: Patti Phillips reported that 38 of our 67 members were in attendance. Sharon Fish attended for the second time and Arlene Minnick for the first time. A questionnaire of life experiences has been prepared. Gathered information will then be shared during meetings to learn how we are inter-connected. An email with the questionnaire will be sent to all members. Paper copies are also available.

Book Room/Book Sales: Jeanne Pless reported that the Book Sale will be held on June 22nd and 23rd. There is a need for people to sign up for the 12:00-2:30 shift on Saturday and for setting up the children’s room. A sign-up sheet for the July 20th & 21st Book Sale was distributed. New committee members are sought.

Library Special Events: Babs Stefano reported that we have been asked to staff the craft tables outside the Music Pier during the OC CON event. We will be assigned one hour shifts to supervise children who are making frames with foam. The assigned shifts are 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM.

Author Tea/Luncheon: Joan Sambucci reported that she and Pat Levis will meet with Karen Bergman at the Flanders to prepare for the Fall Luncheon. They will ask to see if they can have a selection of meals.

Hospitality: Joan Sambucci reported that Welcome Night and National Friends of the Library events will be held in October.

Baby Bags: Pauline Kretzu reported that Yvonne Thies and Diane McMenamin will prepare the bags this month and that she and Joyce McNeely will deliver them. She displayed the new cart purchased by the library to deliver the bags.

First Day of Kindergarten: Linda Robie reported that all of the needed supplies are in process, not all are in yet. The committee will do the assembly in August. MaryAnn Mozzo will coordinate with Sun Rose Books and the teachers. Last year there was about a 30% response rate on the coupons. Carol DeMill and Angel Smith will assume the chairmanship next year.

Publicity: Linda Robie reported that everything is out for the June Book Sale. She is looking for someone to become chairperson. All of the submissions are done online and there are directions, lists and examples to use to cut and paste to advertise to all media.

Reading Trees: Babs Stefano reported that Dot Johnson did the trees in June with a Father’s Day theme. Sandy Crescenzo will do July. Dot Johnson and Elaine Novello will chair the committee next year.

Special Programs: Barbara Riggione reported that she is still working on setting the dates for the writer’s workshop. The goal is to have students experience the workshop two times during their years at the Intermediate School in grades 4 & 8 or 6 & 8.

Special Projects: Cheryl Kelchner reported that the display case contains her collection of boxes from around the world. A map will be included with the display to highlight the country each box came from. Future displays include Paperweights in July, Owls in August, the Quilting Guild in September, OC Reads in October, Turkeys in November and Nativities in December. Next year, Elaine Novello will assume the chairmanship. They are looking for another member to join their committee.

Third Grade Reading: Kathleen Woodring reported that a thank you note was on its way from the club. The total number and amount of the coupons redeemed will be reported after June 30th.

OLD BUSINESS

Debbie Moreland reported that we are waiting for an estimate of cost for the signage over the free book table and for the donation drop off area.

Committee chairs attended the June 6 board meeting and gave mid-year reports of activities and concerns. Chair positions are held for two years, then, they are changed over to another member of the committee. New chairs must be a member of the committee for at least a year before becoming chair.

The F&V membership survey is available to share and gain an appreciation of everyone’s talents and experiences. Hard copies are available. The form will also be emailed to all members.

The superintendent of the school district contacted Debbie Moreland and offered the June 14th abbreviated school day as a time to hold our primary school special event book sale. We declined the date, believing that the end of the year for teachers and the upcoming regular book sale preparations would make it too difficult to manage.

NEW BUSINESS

Debbie Moreland reported that she attended an award ceremony at the NJLA Convention at Harrah’s on June 1. The OCFPL Children’s Department won a NJ State Library Award for Best Practices in Early Literacy for their Infants and Toddlers Story Time Series. Also attending the event were Leslie Clarke, Maureen Edwards, and Taimi Kelley. (Pat Johnson, also a member of the department, was not in attendance).

A nominating committee will be formed by September seeking people interested in serving on the executive board. A slate of nominees will be presented to the membership in October with a second reading and a vote occurring in November. Pam Hepner is in charge of setting up the nominating committee.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Library Board Meeting—Monday, June 11, 2018, 4:00 PM
June Book Sale—Friday, June 22, 2018, 2 PM – 7 PM, & Saturday, June 23, 2018, 10 AM – 2 PM
OC CON (3 days) Thursday, June 28, 2018 – Saturday, June 30, 2018
Next Executive Board Meeting—Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – 10:00 AM
Next Membership Meeting—Monday, July 9, 2018 – 10:00 AM

March 2018 Meeting Highlights

Highlights of the March 2018 Meeting

Corresponding secretary, Angel Smith, read a thank you note from Becky Greene from the library staff for the holiday luncheon. She also read a note from Rosemarie Ricci. A thank you message was sent to Elaine Perino for the ceramic pig collection on display in the library.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

MembershipPatti Phillips reported that 32 of our 67 members were present at today’s meeting. There were no visitors.

Author Tea/LuncheonJoan Sambucci reported that Jonathon King will be the guest speaker at the Author Tea on May 3, at 2:00. The Tea will be held in the Garden Room of the Flanders. Cost will be $30 per person, and checks can be made out to the FVOCFPL. King wrote, The Sindia Promise. There will be open seating with tables of 8 and no limit on the number of tickets that can be purchased. Tickets will be sold in the library atrium on Friday, April 20, from 6:00 to 8:00 and on Saturday, April 21, from 10:00 to 12:00. She is working on an author for the Fall Luncheon. Speaker costs have drastically increased. The date for the Fall Luncheon is Thursday, October 4, 2018.

HospitalityJoan Sambucci reported that National Library Week will be April 9 – 13. A sign-up sheet was distributed for volunteers who are needed to greet patrons, give away freebies, and collect chance slips for the beach tag drawing. Two shifts of volunteers are needed each day from 9:00 – 10:30 and 10:30 – 12:00.

Library Special EventsBabs Stefano distributed a sign-up sheet for the Edible Book Festival to be held on April 9, from 10:00 to 3:00. The contest will have categories for children and adults and features prizes for the most clever and punniest.

Baby BagsPauline Kretzu reported that Joan Sambucci and Linda Robie will prepare the bags this month and that she and Gail Lapko will deliver them.

Book Room/Book SalesJeanne Pless reported that the one day sale was successful. The next sale is on June 22. Sorters were asked to keep aside any donated coffee table books for an upcoming silent auction.

First Day of KindergartenLinda Robie reported that she is considering a new title, The Kissing Hand, for the program. A meeting of the kindergarten committee will be held after the general meeting in May.

Read Across AmericaKathleen Woodring extended a thank you to Leslie Clarke for ordering the materials and to all of the members who helped prepare the bags. The event was held on March 2, with the starting time being moved from 9:00 to 1:00 due to weather concerns. All of the readers were able to readjust their schedules. Readers included eight of our members, retired teachers and community members. The school provided some light refreshments for the participants. Thank you messages were sent to all readers, and some letters have been received from the students.

Reading TreesMarge Roth reported that Judi Levy prepared the trees this month with the themes of spring and St. Patrick’s Day. Kathleen Woodring will do the trees in April that will feature Earth Day and spring.

Special ProjectsCheryl Kelchner reported that the display case will feature an Easter theme with hand painted Easter eggs from the collection of Donna Brumell. The bulletin board in the atrium has also been redesigned with a spring theme. The donated Downton Abbey materials, to be used in the silent auction, will be displayed during April. Bids will be accepted at the ticket sales for the Author’s Tea, and a clip board for bids will be kept behind the second floor reference desk from April 21st to May 2nd. All of the materials are worth around $300. Starting bid will be $30.

Third Grade ReadingKathleen Woodring reported that the students are reading, How to Steal a Dog. The last meeting of the year will be held in April and will involve a wrap-up party.

Debbie Moreland announced that Babs Stefano volunteered to be the Library Special Events Coordinator and Bobbi Taylor volunteered to assist.

Debbie Moreland also reported that the check has been given to the Historical Museum for the summer camp program. Our sponsorship will be acknowledged in all advertising and our donation is appreciated.

Debbie Moreland reported that she spoke with Karen Mahar regarding any needs the library may have that we could help with. Karen will check with the library’s branding company, Wiser Link, to see about new signage over the free book table.

Our next meeting will be on April 9. It marks the beginning of National Library Week and the Edible Book Festival. The new member luncheon will follow next month’s meeting. New members, Doris McNorton and Liz Genco will be recognized. An email will be sent inviting everyone to the luncheon and Joanne Romano will be asked to set up an evite that will allow people to RSVP so that a count can be made to plan for the catering.

A motion was made by Babs Stefano and seconded by Barbara Riggione to reward the students that participated in the Third Grade Reading Club with a coupon, worth up to $10, to be used at Sun Rose Books to encourage summer reading. The motion passed.

Carolyn Lothian announced that The Living Last Supper would be performed at the Tabernacle on Holy Thursday, March 29, and Good Friday, March 30, at 7:00.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Next Executive Board Meeting – Wednesday, April 4, 2018 – 10:00 AM
Next Membership Meeting – Monday, April 9, 2018 – 10:00 AM
Edible Book Festival and New Member Luncheon – Monday, April 9, 2018
National Library Week – Monday, April 9 – Friday, April 13.