Highlights—June 2018 Membership Meeting

Library representative, Leslie Clarke, reported that the OC CON Festival would be held at the Music Pier on June 28th through the 30th. Progress is continuing on the second floor Maker Space design. They are meeting with the architect and have visited the Cape May County Library to see how its space is arranged. Plans include space for youth, private study areas, a smart board, and sewing machines.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Membership: Patti Phillips reported that 38 of our 67 members were in attendance. Sharon Fish attended for the second time and Arlene Minnick for the first time. A questionnaire of life experiences has been prepared. Gathered information will then be shared during meetings to learn how we are inter-connected. An email with the questionnaire will be sent to all members. Paper copies are also available.

Book Room/Book Sales: Jeanne Pless reported that the Book Sale will be held on June 22nd and 23rd. There is a need for people to sign up for the 12:00-2:30 shift on Saturday and for setting up the children’s room. A sign-up sheet for the July 20th & 21st Book Sale was distributed. New committee members are sought.

Library Special Events: Babs Stefano reported that we have been asked to staff the craft tables outside the Music Pier during the OC CON event. We will be assigned one hour shifts to supervise children who are making frames with foam. The assigned shifts are 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM.

Author Tea/Luncheon: Joan Sambucci reported that she and Pat Levis will meet with Karen Bergman at the Flanders to prepare for the Fall Luncheon. They will ask to see if they can have a selection of meals.

Hospitality: Joan Sambucci reported that Welcome Night and National Friends of the Library events will be held in October.

Baby Bags: Pauline Kretzu reported that Yvonne Thies and Diane McMenamin will prepare the bags this month and that she and Joyce McNeely will deliver them. She displayed the new cart purchased by the library to deliver the bags.

First Day of Kindergarten: Linda Robie reported that all of the needed supplies are in process, not all are in yet. The committee will do the assembly in August. MaryAnn Mozzo will coordinate with Sun Rose Books and the teachers. Last year there was about a 30% response rate on the coupons. Carol DeMill and Angel Smith will assume the chairmanship next year.

Publicity: Linda Robie reported that everything is out for the June Book Sale. She is looking for someone to become chairperson. All of the submissions are done online and there are directions, lists and examples to use to cut and paste to advertise to all media.

Reading Trees: Babs Stefano reported that Dot Johnson did the trees in June with a Father’s Day theme. Sandy Crescenzo will do July. Dot Johnson and Elaine Novello will chair the committee next year.

Special Programs: Barbara Riggione reported that she is still working on setting the dates for the writer’s workshop. The goal is to have students experience the workshop two times during their years at the Intermediate School in grades 4 & 8 or 6 & 8.

Special Projects: Cheryl Kelchner reported that the display case contains her collection of boxes from around the world. A map will be included with the display to highlight the country each box came from. Future displays include Paperweights in July, Owls in August, the Quilting Guild in September, OC Reads in October, Turkeys in November and Nativities in December. Next year, Elaine Novello will assume the chairmanship. They are looking for another member to join their committee.

Third Grade Reading: Kathleen Woodring reported that a thank you note was on its way from the club. The total number and amount of the coupons redeemed will be reported after June 30th.

OLD BUSINESS

Debbie Moreland reported that we are waiting for an estimate of cost for the signage over the free book table and for the donation drop off area.

Committee chairs attended the June 6 board meeting and gave mid-year reports of activities and concerns. Chair positions are held for two years, then, they are changed over to another member of the committee. New chairs must be a member of the committee for at least a year before becoming chair.

The F&V membership survey is available to share and gain an appreciation of everyone’s talents and experiences. Hard copies are available. The form will also be emailed to all members.

The superintendent of the school district contacted Debbie Moreland and offered the June 14th abbreviated school day as a time to hold our primary school special event book sale. We declined the date, believing that the end of the year for teachers and the upcoming regular book sale preparations would make it too difficult to manage.

NEW BUSINESS

Debbie Moreland reported that she attended an award ceremony at the NJLA Convention at Harrah’s on June 1. The OCFPL Children’s Department won a NJ State Library Award for Best Practices in Early Literacy for their Infants and Toddlers Story Time Series. Also attending the event were Leslie Clarke, Maureen Edwards, and Taimi Kelley. (Pat Johnson, also a member of the department, was not in attendance).

A nominating committee will be formed by September seeking people interested in serving on the executive board. A slate of nominees will be presented to the membership in October with a second reading and a vote occurring in November. Pam Hepner is in charge of setting up the nominating committee.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Library Board Meeting—Monday, June 11, 2018, 4:00 PM
June Book Sale—Friday, June 22, 2018, 2 PM – 7 PM, & Saturday, June 23, 2018, 10 AM – 2 PM
OC CON (3 days) Thursday, June 28, 2018 – Saturday, June 30, 2018
Next Executive Board Meeting—Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – 10:00 AM
Next Membership Meeting—Monday, July 9, 2018 – 10:00 AM

Highlights of the May 2018 Membership Meeting

Library Representative, Leslie Clarke, reported that a Click It Contest was being held with the Primary School that involves the students designing landmarks using Lego engineering. The event would be held on May 21st at 6:30 in the atrium and children’s room. The entries will be judged by three judges, the winners will receive prizes.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Membership: Patti Phillips reported that 37 of our 67 members were present. She welcomed first time guests, Barbara Gallagher, Virginia Black, and Sharon Fish. She also mentioned a survey that will be prepared to gather and share accomplishments, backgrounds and talents of our membership.

Book Room and Book Sales: A sign-up sheet for the June 22nd and 23rd book sale was distributed.

Library Special Events: Babs Stefano reported that OC CON will be held on June 28 through June 30. She distributed a sign-up sheet and asked members to sign up for when they would be available to help. She reported that of the ten adult entries for the Edible Book Festival, six were prepared by the Friends and Volunteers—Cheryl Kelchner, Gail Lapko, Tina Moschella and Babs Stefano.

Author Tea/Author Luncheon: Joan Sambucci reported the Jonathon King Author Tea went well. He was a delightful down-to-earth speaker and the committee received tremendous reviews for the Garden Room location. A flyer announcing the fall author, Denise Kiernan, was distributed during the luncheon. A large poster to advertise the fall luncheon is planned to publicize the Thursday, October 4, 2018 event to be held at 11:30 at the Flanders.

Hospitality: Joan Sambucci reported that April has been a busy month. Members staffed the library’s give away table during National Library Week to welcome patrons and distribute freebies and beach tag raffle chances. Forty-Five members attended the New Member Luncheon. The food was provided by Boyars. Thanks were extended to members of the committee for their help.

Baby Bags: Pauline Kretzu reported that a new and larger cart has been ordered. She has been informed that the hospital expects about 100 new babies each month so they will be preparing that amount. Mary Ann Mozzo and Cathy McMenamin will bag and deliver the bags this month.

First Day of Kindergarten: Linda Robie reported that all books and supplies are in and bookplates will be prepared. Bags will be assembled on August 30. The committee will meet after today’s meeting.

Reading Trees: Marge Roth reported that Sharon Cattie prepared the trees this month with Memorial Day and Mother’s Day themes. Dot Johnson will prepare the trees next month.

Special Programs: Barbara Riggione reported that she spoke with Mr. Haines, Principal of the Intermediate School, regarding the Lisa Willever program. It will be held during the second or third week of October with the sixth and eighth graders.

Special Projects: Cheryl Kelchner reported that Sara Bruesehoff, Young Adult Librarian, won the Downton Abbey materials. The model was given to her father for his train display and the books and CDs were given to her mother. The display case now holds a collection of mortar and pestles from Gail Peony.

Third Grade Reading: Mary Ann Mozzo reported that seven children were in attendance at the meeting. Eleven, ten dollar coupons, to Sun Rose Books were given out to those who participated this year.

OLD BUSINESS

Debbie Moreland reported that she met with Wiser Links and library staff regarding signage over the free book table. We are waiting for an estimate of cost.

Committee chairs were reminded that they have been asked to attend the June 6 board meeting to provide a mid-year update and to name people who may want to assume chair positions.

A membership survey is pending and will be available sometime in June.

NEW BUSINESS

Debbie Moreland reported that she attended the local author showcase sponsored by the library. Local author, Jennifer Shirk placed a dedication in her new book, Bargaining with the Boss, that recognizes Karen and Leslie at the Ocean City Free Public Library and all the Friends and Volunteers.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

General Meeting: Monday, May 14, 2018 10:00AM
Library Board Meeting: Monday, May 14, 2018 4:00PM
Next Executive Board Meeting: Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:00AM
Next Membership Meeting: Monday, June 11, 2018 10:00AM
June Book Sale: Friday, June 22, 2018 2:00 –7:00PM and Saturday, June 23, 2018 10:00 – 2:00
OC CON: Thursday, June 28, 2018 – Saturday, June 30, 2018