October 2018 Membership Meeting Highlights!

Pam Hepner conducted the quarterly reading of the Friends and Volunteers purpose.

Corresponding Secretary, Angel Smith reported that a sympathy card had been sent to Gerri Cusato for the passing of her mother. A thank you note was sent to Roberta McCoy from the South Shores Stitchers. A thank you note was received from The Shores for our equipment donation.


Membership: Bobbi Taylor reported that 42 of our 71 members were present. Dot Mongo attended for the third time and Joanne Lachwalder attended for the first time.

Hospitality: Joan Sambucci reported that National Friends of the Library Week would be celebrated October 22-26. A table will be set up in the atrium to welcome patrons and distribute goodies from 9:00 – 12:00. A sign-up sheet was distributed for shifts of 1.5 hours. The Chamber of Commerce’s Welcome Night will be held on October 24, from 6:00 to 8:00 at the Civic Center. Volunteers to distribute materials at the library table were sought.

Author Luncheon: A thank you was extended to all who worked. Author, Denise Kiernan, was found to be very personable and engaging. In all, 211 lunches were served. Two gift baskets were provided for free from Circle Liquors. The committee will meet to make recommendations for next year. Debbie Moreland extended thanks to Pat Levis and Joan Sambucci for their work. New F&V flyers were prepared for the luncheon with about 50% taken. Bobbi Taylor suggested that the new pamphlets be taken to the Welcome Center on the causeway.

Baby Bags: Bobbi Taylor reported that Patti Phillips and Pauline Kretzu will prepare and deliver the bags this month.

Book Room/Book Sales: Elaine Wilson is working on a flow chart to outline book room responsibilities. A sign-up sheet for the December 7 & 8 book sale was distributed. Shifts will be 2.5 hours in length with assistance needed for clean-up and set-up.

First Day of Kindergarten: Linda Robie thanked everyone for their help. About 15 of the Sun Rose gift certificates have been redeemed. Unused coupons will be retrieved from the school at the end of October.

Publicity: Linda Robie reported that the flyer for the December book sale will go out the first week of November.

Reading Trees: Babs Stefano reported that MaryAnn Mozzo prepared the trees for October with fall and Halloween themes. Marge Roth will do the trees in November and Elaine Novello in December. Elaine Novello and Dot Johnson are taking over as co-chairs next year.

Special Programs: Barbara Riggione reported that the Writer’s Workshop featuring Lisa Willever would begin tomorrow, Tuesday, October 9, at 8:00 AM. Three sessions would be held for the fourth grade on Tuesday with three sessions held on Wednesday for the eighth grade.

Special Projects: Cheryl Kelchner reported that Kay Reilly, director of Ocean City Reads, prepared the display case for the upcoming community event featuring the book, Thunder Dog. The bulletin board has also been updated to feature photos from the author luncheon. Work is continuing on preparing the new book sale posters. Five months have already been scheduled for the display case next year.

Third Grade Reading: Kathleen Woodring reported that she would meet with the club on Thursday evening, October 18, at 6:00. Twelve students have signed up for the program. She will attend the session to welcome the students and explain that the F&Vs provide the books for the program. The first month’s book is, Because of Winn Dixie.


Patti Phillips is preparing committee interest sheets for 2019.

Debbie Moreland extended a thank you to the nominating committee, Pam Hepner, Elaine Wilson and Jean Bush. Pam Hepner presented the slate for two year terms beginning January 2019. The slate presented was the following: President, Chris Wilson, Vice President, Patti Phillips, Recording Secretary, Joyce McNeely, Corresponding Secretary, Jean Bush, Treasurer, Evie Bachich and Directors-at-Large, Kathleen Woodring and Debbie Moreland. The slate will be presented again at the November membership meeting with nominations taken from the floor with the consent of the nominee. A vote will then be taken.

Debbie Moreland reported that replacements were still being sought for committee chair positions. Volunteers are still needed for Book Room/Book Sales, Co-Chair for the Author Tea/Luncheon, and Special Programs/Writing Workshop to serve with Barbara Riggione.

A thank you was extended to Tina Moschella and Pam Hepner for researching and recommending equipment that was purchased for and presented to the residents of The Shores.

Debbie Moreland presented the idea of the drive-through book drop suggested by Pat Levis to Library Director, Karen Mahar. The library supports the concept but recognizes a problem and challenge with placement in the current parking lot design.


Karen Mahar has invited F&V members to attend a Library sponsored Active Shooter Training by Camelot Security on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 from 9:00 AM – 12:30 PM in N110. Interested members are asked to sign-up for the session.

The atrium of the library will be used during First Night. A DJ and crafts for children will be set up. F&V members willing to participate will be offered a First Night button to attend activities before or after the atrium session

Highlights—August 2018 Meeting!

Corresponding Secretary, Angel Smith, reported that a thank you note was sent to Cheryl Kelchner and Leslie Clarke for their box and paperweight displays.

Library Representative, Leslie Clarke, reported that an informational meeting would be held after today’s library board meeting in Room N111. Architect, William McLees, will present information about the second floor library redesign project.


Membership: Bobbi Taylor reported that 38 of our 70 members were in attendance. Barbara Gallagher is a new member and Dot Mongo has attended for the first time. Beatrice Keefe is attending her second meeting.

Book Room/Book Sale: Jeanne Pless reported that men are needed for the clean-up at Saturday’s book sale. The book sale will be from 10:00 to 3:00. Jeanne welcomed Carla Heist and Annette LoPresti as new committee members.

Author Tea/Luncheon: Joan Sambucci and Pat Levis reported that ticket sales will be on Saturday from 10:00 to 2:00 in the atrium. The second sale date will be Friday, September 7, from 6:00 to 8:00. The luncheon menu will feature chicken. The author will speak about The Last Castle and the Biltmore Hotel during her presentation. Book signing will be at 11:15. The luncheon will begin at noon with seating starting at 11:30.

Baby Bags: Pauline Kretzu reported that Sharon Cattie and Kathleen Woodring would prepare the bags and Joan Sambucci and Sharon Cattie would deliver around 100 bags this month.

First Day of Kindergarten: Linda Robie reported that all materials are in and members of the committee will assemble the bags. A press release is being prepared to promote the gift certificate for kindergartners.

Hospitality: Joan Sambucci reported that she will have a sign-up sheet next month for National Friends of the Library Week in October. We will also be participating in the community’s Welcome Night.

Library Special Events: Babs Stefano stated that four people were needed for the library’s table at St. Peter’s Back to School Carnival on August 24 from 5:30 to 7:30. Pam Hepner and Judi Levy volunteered to serve from 5:30 to 6:30 and Joy Fleckser and Debbie Moreland from 6:30 to 7:30.

Reading Trees: Marge Roth reported that Jean Bush did the trees this month with a summertime theme. Chris Wilson will do a back to school theme for September.

Special Projects: Debbie Moreland reported that Cheryl Kelchner and Angel Smith went to the home of Fred and Betty Pracht to select owls from their collection for the August display.


We have purchased new signs that have been installed over the free book table and on the walls to direct people to the free book and donation area.

A nominating committee has been formed for the executive positions starting in 2019. Jean Bush, Pam Hepner, chairperson, and Elaine Wilson are members of the committee.

Committee chairpersons are working on filling the chair positions for the next two year term. Chairs must serve on the committee for a year before serving as chair. We are currently looking for chairs for the Author Tea/Luncheon and the Book Room. Publicity has the need of a co-chair.

Tina Moschella reported that she contacted Michelle Musto at The Shores to receive input on the possibility of purchasing hardware for use with audio books for residents.


Debbie Moreland reported that the public is invited to a special meeting in room N111 at 5:30 on August 13. Architect, William McLees, will discuss the proposed renovations to the 2nd floor of the library.

Meet Our Members information was shared by Debbie Moreland Diane McMenamin, Dot Johnson and Pauline Kretzu were highlighted.


  • Library Board Meeting: Monday, August 13, 2018 4:00 PM Room N111
  • Library Special Meeting: Monday, August 13 5:30 PM Room N111
  • August Book Sale: Saturday, August 18, 2018 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
  • St. Peter’s Back to School Carnival: Friday, August 24, 2018
  • Next Executive Board Meeting: Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Next Membership Meeting: Monday, September 10, 2018 10:00 AM